5 year temporary residency

subscription-toggle
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe Scollen

My wife and I (UK citizens) have owned a property in Portugal for over 10 years. About a year ago we were granted 5 year temporary residency. We do not live permanently in Portugal but pre covid and of course Brexit we would tend to spend 4 to 5 months a year in Portugal. We are retired with pension income and savings well in excess of Portuguese minimum wage. My questions are; will the temp residency certificate allow us still to be in Portugal for more than 90 of 180 days?,do we need to exchange the certificate for the new documents?, should we consider D7 and how would we apply for that bearing in mind we already own property and have the 5 year certificate?

#19557 Reply
    James Cave
    Keymaster

Hi Joe,

If you were granted residency in Portugal a year ago, it’s still valid now and you can spend 4-5 months in Portugal as before.

#19693 Reply
    Okwaeze

Hi James,

I too gained 5 year temporary residency tail end of last year. A permanent move is not yet on the cards due to needing to keep an eye on my elderly parents (especially my dad who needs care). Back in Feb last year my plan was to do two months in Portugal working remotely (work was fine with that whilst they get back to me about being in Portugal for much longer), then back in UK for a month or two; then covid-19 happened!

I’ve got my NIF and registered address (although this will have to change as unfortunately me and my girlfriend broke up this week and it’s her address).

I don’t want to give up on essentially spending half the year (cumulated) in Portugal and half in the UK (for now). I’m a software engineer at a games studio in London. Do I need to register for NHR tax in Portugal? Once flight restrictions are lifted I’d be heading over to exchange temporary residency for the new residence permit, so would look to register for NHR if I have to do that. I know there’s the double taxation treaty, but it’s just a question of how my scenario fits in.

Brexit complicates things for my employer in regards to working remotely long term, so they currently looking into it.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: 5 year temporary residency
Your information:

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Portugalist will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.

Get the latest from Portugalist.