Do EEA Residents Need a Fiscal Representative to Get a NIF?

By James Cave / Published: January 2022.
Posted in: QandA

The small print: Portugalist may generate a commission from mentioned products or services. This is at no additional cost to you and it does not affect our editorial standards in any way. All content, including comments, should be treated as informational and not advice of any kind, including legal or financial advice. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors or omissions or damages arising from its display or use. Links to external websites do not constitute an endorsement. are able to arrange a NIF for €150 (or €140 if you use the code PORTUGALIST). The current turnaround time is one week.

Discount code: PORTUGALIST

The NIF or Número de Identificação Fiscal can be a confusing topic, especially when it comes to how to get one. There are different rules, which vary depending on where you’re resident. Some non-residents applying for a NIF need a fiscal representative, or someone to act as an intermediary between them and Finanças. This is usually the case with people resident in the US, for example. Others, those resident in Portugal or the European Union for example, don’t need a fiscal representative.

But what about people who are resident in countries that are part of the EEA (European Economic Area) but not part of the EU (European Union). This small group of countries includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

According to Kathleen Lo from, a country that helps people obtain a Portuguese NIF number, ‘if you are an EU/EEA resident applying for a NIF directly with the Financas, you do not need a fiscal representative.’ That means if you’re resident in Iceland, Norway, or Lichtenstein, you don’t need fiscal representation, which is good news as that normally means paying a lawyer and costs average around €200 per year that you require it.

Moving to Portugal Made Simple Cover Wish moving to Portugal was a little more simple? 

Now it can be. Get the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple from Amazon.

Note the word resident rather than citizen. According to Kathleen, ‘if you hold a Japanese passport and are a permanent resident of Spain, you can get a NIF without a fiscal rep. But if you hold a Spanish passport and are a permanent resident of Japan, you will need a fiscal representative to get your NIF.’ are able to arrange a NIF for €150 (or €140 if you use the code PORTUGALIST). For more information, read our guide to getting a Portuguese NIF.

3 thoughts on “Do EEA Residents Need a Fiscal Representative to Get a NIF?”

  1. Hi!
    I am from Bucharest, Romania and I plan to get my Nif. I tried to do this by mail, but with no success.
    Witch are the steps to follow for taking the Nif on site?


Leave a Comment