Below you’ll find questions about Portugal that are frequently asked on Portugalist. All have been answered by a professional.
The Golden Visa
- Can I cancel a NIF if I decide not to move to Portugal?
- If I get a NIF, will I have tax obligations in Portugal (e.g. filing a tax return)?
- Can I Get A NIF Number As A Non-Resident?
- Do I Legally Have to Use My NIF When Making a Purchase?
- Do My Children Need a NIF?
- Can a Married Couple Share a NIF Number?
- I’ve Forgotten My NIF Number, What Do I Do?
- Does my NIF Number Expire?
- Do EEA Residents Need a Fiscal Representative to Get a NIF?
- Do Residents in Switzerland Need a Fiscal Representative to get a NIF?
- What is a Portuguese NIF Number?
- Are NIF Numbers Given At Birth?
- Do you need a minimum income amount to qualify for NHR?
- Are There Tax Obligations Once I’ve Obtained NHR status?
- What Happens to My Tax-Free Savings Accounts When I Move to Portugal?
- Which Professions Benefit from Portugal’s NHR regime?
- What Are The Requirements to Join Portugal’s NHR Program?
- Can a Portuguese Citizen get NHR?
- What Happens After 10 Years of NHR Are Up?
- Can I Pause NHR if I Leave Portugal Briefly?
- Does NHR impact Capital Gains Tax in Portugal?