Lagoa is a small, quiet, and relatively non-touristy town that’s situated 10 minutes inland from more popular beach resort towns like Carvoeiro and Ferragudo. Although there are charming parts to the town, including the main square, its main selling point is its location rather than anything in the town itself.
It is just 10-15 minutes drive from some of the best beaches on the Algarve including Praia da Marina, Praia de Benagil, and Praia de Albandeira. It’s also just a 5-minute drive from Slide & Splash, one of the Algarve’s most popular water parks.
Lagoa is a quiet town with a few cafés and restaurants – enough to keep most people entertained for a week or so. It also has plenty of big supermarkets, which is ideal for those that are self-catering.
Now it can be. Get the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple from Amazon.
Although Lagoa does pick up a few tourists during the summer months, it’s definitely much less touristy than most of the towns nearby. If you’re looking for somewhere that has a high concentration of Portuguese residents as opposed to tourists, Lagoa is a good option to consider.
Featured accommodation in Lagoa
- Lagoa Hotel – Popular hotel with outdoor swimming pool and onsite restaurant.
- Casa Azul Oasis – Guesthouse near Lagoa with outdoor swimming pool.
Should I rent a car?
Renting a car will definitely make it easier to get around but, because Lagoa has both a bus and a train station (although the train station is almost 4 km outside), it is possible to get from Lagoa to other parts of the Algarve by public transport. You can even get to nearby beaches, Praia da Marinha, by bus, as well as towns with beaches like Carvoeiro and Armação de Pêra.
Getting to Lagoa
From Faro Airport
- Airport transfer: If you decide not to rent a car, the easiest and fastest way to get from Faro Airport to Lagoa is to book an airport transfer. Several companies, like Welcome Pickups, operate at Faro Airport and the journey time is usually around 40 minutes.
- Rental car: Lagoa is roughly 40 minutes from Faro Airport by car on the A22 toll road or an hour on the N125 (See: Hiring a car at Faro Airport).
- Shuttle bus: Shuttle buses to Lagoa can be booked on hoppa.com, and the journey usually takes around 2 hour hours.
- Taxi (or Uber): Taxis are available from outside Faro Airport. They’re normally more expensive than a pre-booked airport transfer, but a convenient option if you haven’t managed to book anything in advance.
- Public transport: There isn’t a direct bus or train between Faro Airport and Lagoa. To get to Lagoa, you’ll first need to take a taxi or the airport bus (bus #16) into Faro and then connecting transport onto Lagoa (see below).
- Bus: There are direct buses between Faro and Lagoa, and the journey usually takes around 1.5 hours. Tickets can be purchased on eva-bus.com.
- Train: There is a train from Faro to Estômbar-Lagoa, which is located in Parchal, roughly 3.7 km from Lagoa. You’ll then need to take a taxi from Parchal to Lagoa. Train tickets can be purchased on cp.pt, and discounts are available if you book in advance.
From Lisbon & the rest of Portugal
- Bus: Long distance coaches are available to Lagoa from Lisbon, Porto, and other destinations in Portugal. Tickets can be purchased from rede-expressos.pt
- Train: Trains to Estômbar-Lagoa (3.7 km from Lagoa) are available from Lisbon and other cities in Portugal. Tickets can be purchased on cp.pt, and discounts are available if you book in advance.