Aljezur is a small town in the far north of the Western Algarve, less than 20 minutes’ drive from the Algarve-Alentejo border. The town sits on the edge of the Park Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa, the protected natural park that covers most of the Western Coast of the Algarve. The town has several restaurants, cafés, and a supermarket, and many people use it as a base for exploring this part of the Western Algarve and the lower Alentejo region. It’s also close to many wonderful Algarve beaches including Praia da Arrifana (9.4 km), Praia da Amoreira (8.6 km), and Praia de Odeceixe-Mar (18.3 km). Aljezur itself also has a few attractions including the Moorish castle that sits on top of the hill and overlooks the town. One of several castles from this period of Algarve history (Silves Castle is probably the best preserved), it offers fantastic views of the nearby countryside and a tiny glimpse into what life might have been like back then.
Handpicked Accommodation in Aljezur
- Casa Alva – Rural guesthouse that’s walking distance from Aljezur town centre, and known for its bountiful breakfasts.
- Vicentina Hotel – Small 4-star hotel with swimming pool and onsite restaurant.
- Daguasoul Hostel – Popular hostel with shared kitchen, terrace, and BBQ area.
Should I rent a car?If you’re staying in Aljezur, it’s definitely a good idea to rent a car. Bus services are very limited, and they mainly go to other towns as opposed to many of the more remote areas that you’ll want to visit (beaches on the West Coast, for example). There’s also no train line in Aljezur, and it can be difficult trying to rely on taxis. See: Hiring a car at Faro Airport. Alternatively, you can take a bus to Aljezur and rent a scooter, e-bike, or bike through Indy Scooters or Hire Service.
Getting to Aljezur
From Faro Airport
- Airport Transfer: Airport transfer companies like Welcome Pickups will take you from Faro Airport to Aljezur, and the journey normally takes around 70 minutes.
- Rental Car: Hiring a car at Faro Airport is definitely recommended if you’re visiting Aljezur as public transport and taxis are limited. The journey from Faro Airport to Aljezur takes around 1 hour and 10 minutes on the A22 toll road or around 1 hour and 45 minutes if you take the N125 road.
- Taxi (or Uber): Taxis are available from outside Faro Airport, although it’s cheaper if you book an airport transfer beforehand.
- Public Transport: Public transport between Faro Airport and Aljezur is quite limited. You’ll need to take the airport bus (#16) or a taxi into Faro, and then take connecting transport to Aljezur (see below). Note: this will normally involve a change in Lagos.
- By Bus: There isn’t a direct bus between Faro and Aljezur. You’ll need to take a bus (or train) to Lagos, and then take another bus onto Aljezur. Bus tickets and timetables can be found on eva-bus.com.
- By Train: The train line goes as far west as Lagos so, if you take the train to Lagos, you’ll then need to get a bus from Lagos to Aljezur. Train tickets can be purchased from cp.pt, and discounts are available if you book in advance.
From Lisbon & other parts of Portugal
- By Bus: Long distance coaches are available to Aljezur from Lisbon, Porto, and most other major towns and cities in Portugal. Tickets can be purchased from rede-expressos.pt.
- By Train: The nearest train station to Aljezur is in Lagos. Many people take a train to Lagos and then a connecting bus from Lagos to Aljezur. Train tickets can be purchased from cp.pt, and discounts are available if you book in advance.