What should you do with your luggage if you arrive at your destination several hours before check-in…or you have to check out several hours before you’re due to go to the airport, train, or bus station?
Generally, the easiest thing to do is ask your hotel or Airbnb host if they can help. Most will be happy to, and won’t charge you for storing your luggage either. If that’s not an option, you’ll need to find somewhere that offers luggage storage. Surprisingly, even though this is a common travel problem, it can be hard to find places to store your luggage in Portugal (with the exception of Lisbon and Porto where there are plenty of options).
Thankfully, there are now a few luggage storage apps like Bounce and LuggageHero, which allow you to store your bags at restaurants, cafes, and hotels. It’s always worth checking these apps to see what’s available.
- Aveiro bus station, which is next to the train station (map), also has 16 lockers for €1.50 per day. The lockers are big enough to take a rucksack or normal cabin-sized suitcase. To get to the bus station, you will need to go cross over the train lines. You do this by going under the train station: go down the steps and walk across.
- Full Article: Luggage storage in Aveiro
- Ponta Delgada Airport offers a baggage (and surfboard, bicycles, and other items) deposit service.
- Terceira Lajes Airport has luggage storage lockers. As of July 2019, it costs €1 per 24 hours to store a bag.
- The tourism information centre in Madalena offered to store the bags for free. Note: they close at 16:30.
- No places found so far.
- Radical Storage (insured option) allows you to book luggage storage at several places in Braga, including a luggage storage facility in the city centre and at Braga Cathedral.
- There are large and medium-sized lockers at Braga train station that can be used for up to 72 hours. Click here for a photo of the price list (tip: Radical Storage seems to have a cheaper daily rate).
- Full Article: Luggage Storage in Braga
- Bounce lists a good handful of luggage storage options in Cascais
- Alternatively, spend the day in Lisbon City Centre where there are lots of places to leave your bags.
Full Article: Luggage Storage in Cascais
- Bounce had quite a few options, including several hotels and cafes. Using the app also means your bags are insured.
- Go Walks Portugal (map) offer luggage storage between Monday and Friday, 10 am to 6 pm. The cost per locker (which fits 2 cabin size bags + 2 medium backpacks) is €5 for up to 4 hours and €8 for up to 8 hours.
- Hotel Oslo (map) offer FREE luggage storage to both guests and people visiting the city.
- Serenata Hostel (map) offers luggage storage to non-guests, which costs €5 per bag per 24 hours. Guests of the hostel can leave their bags free of charge.
- According to the Portugal Trains website, there are lockers at Coimbra and Coimbra-B stations.
- According to Portugalist commenter W, there is “bag storage at the Coimbra rede bus terminal. It’s hidden in the back.”
Full article: Where to store your luggage in Coimbra
- No places found so far.
As of May 2023, Luggage storage app Bounce has at least one luggage storage location in Évora at a hotel that’s open 24/7. Using Bounce costs around €6.65 per day, and this includes $10,000 worth of insurance to keep your bags safe.
Full Article: Luggage storage in Évora
- Fátima Bus Station (map) has a luggage storage room where you can pay to store your luggage (~ €2.50 per item). There’s a sign on the ticket information desk that advertises this, so that’s presumably where you’ll need to ask.
See more information about Fátima.
- Adventureland Madeira (map) offers luggage storage per hour or per day.
- Madeira Airport has both lockers and a baggage storage facility.
- Radical Storage (insured option) lists at least one place in Funchal where you can pay to store your bags.
Full Article: Luggage storage in Funchal
- Estórias (map), a café and snack bar situated near the bus stop and town gate, will store luggage for a fee.
- The tourism office in Peniche suggested that the bus station in Peniche (map) offers luggage storage.
See more information about Peniche.
- The tourist information office thought that the bus station *might* have a place for storing luggage, but only on weekends. There are no signs up in the bus station advertising this. No other places found so far.
- There doesn’t seem to be luggage storage at the bus or train stations, but several of the luggage storage apps like Bounce have options.
Full Article: luggage storage in Setúbal
- Luggage Hero – Lists one option right in the middle of Sintra’s town centre, just a few minutes from the train station.
- Bounce – Lists one option that’s quite close to the town centre, and a few more minutes from the train station.
- Sintra train station (map) has lockers.
- Tempo de Tradiçoes (map) just outside of the train station provides luggage storage for ~€5 per day per bag. Look for the big rooster on the pavement outside the shop.
Full Article: Luggage storage in Sintra
Viana do Castelo
- The tourism office (map) offers this service for €2 per bag.
- Viseu bus station (map) offers a left luggage service, which is located next to the information desk.