If you’re wondering where to find a bit of February sun, the Algarve is a fantastic choice. Mild weather, peace and quiet… what more could you ask from a winter break?
Reasons to visit the Algarve in February
- With around 6 hours of sunshine each day, it’s a great choice if you’re suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which can lead to lead to mild depression and anxiety.
- It’s still the low season, so you can enjoy endless stretches of Europe’s most beautiful beaches all to yourself. And with daytime temperatures reaching 18°C, it’ll still be warm enough to wear a t-shirt during the middle of the day.
- Temperatures are warm, but not el scorchio. Now is a good time to go if you fancy a round of golf, a hike along a section of the Via Algarviana, or a lazy day tasting the produce at one of the region’s exciting new wineries.
- Accommodation is cheap. Hotel prices are often at least 50% cheaper in February than they are in July and August.
- There’s quite a bit going on. People are getting back into gear after their Christmas break, and are preparing for the shoulder season which starts next month.
For cheap hotels in the Algarve, booking.com is always a good place to look. For car rental, comparison sites like rentalcars.com are worth looking at.
What’s on in the Algarve in February?
Volta ao Algarve
Participants cover more than 690 kilometres in Volta ao Algarve, the region’s biggest bicycle race. If you’re not around to watch the cyclists go by, you can watch from home on Eurosport or ITV4.
Now it can be. Get the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple from Amazon.
For more information and dates, visit voltaaoalgarve.com
Who needs Rio de Janeiro? The Algarve’s oldest carnival has a fantastic atmosphere, too. The three day event takes place over Shrove Tuesday and features plenty of dancing, street food and a parade with themed floats. Some can be quite political, so we’re excited to see what’s on display after Brexit and Trump.
Note: if Easter is late, Carnival will take place in March.
Semana de Chocolate, Loulé
If you haven’t already broken that New Year’s Resolution, here’s the perfect opportunity to do so. Every year in February, Loulé hosts the Semana de Chocolate at Loulé market. Producers and exhibitors from across Portugal come and set up stall, offering some of the best gourmet chocolates for sale.
This event usually takes place in the second half of February. For more information, visit Loulé Market’s Facebook page.
Want to know what else is happening? Check out the month-by-month guide to what’s on in the Algarve for a complete list of events on the Algarve.
Weather in the Algarve in February
The average daytime temperature is 13°C, although it can rise up to (and beyond) 18°C. There are only five days of rainfall on average for the whole month, so you’d have to be pretty unlucky to arrive during a week with poor weather. It’s generally warmer down by the coast, although we wouldn’t recommend swimming in the sea (a chilly 14°C at this time of year). Sunshine is bright, and you can expect six hours of it a day on average.
Have you visited the Algarve in February? What did you think? Would you come back? Share your thoughts and reviews or ask a question by leaving a comment below.