Accommodation Options for the D7 Visa

The small print: Portugalist may generate a commission from mentioned products or services. This is at no additional cost to you and it does not affect our editorial standards in any way. All content, including comments, should be treated as informational and not advice of any kind, including legal or financial advice. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors or omissions or damages arising from its display or use. Links to external websites do not constitute an endorsement.

One of the challenges of obtaining a visa like the D7 and D2 is the need to already have accommodation in Portugal before you move to Portugal. You can’t just arrive in Portugal and then look for a place when you arrive. 

Suitable accommodation can take many forms. If you’ve purchased a property, that’s definitely acceptable: you just need to show the deeds to the property.

Moving to Portugal Made Simple Cover Wish moving to Portugal was a little more simple? 

Now it can be. Get the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple from Amazon.

For most people, it means a rental contract. You can either travel to Portugal or find a place to rent or try and find somewhere virtually.

In the past, most people simply rented an Airbnb, often renting several months of Airbnbs and moving around the country as they decided where they wanted to settle. Multiple hotel bookings were also accepted. Unfortunately, Airbnbs and hotels are being accepted less and less, although it does depend a lot on the consulate you’re applying through. If Airbnb bookings are still being accepted at your nearest consulate, this is the easiest option, but it’s increasingly not an option.

Another option is a letter of invitation or term of responsibility form (form available here and here) from a Portuguese resident, inviting you to come and stay with them. This letter typically has to be notarised to be accepted and you’ll likely need to send a copy of their ID with the document as well. Some people use this option as a workaround: rather than stay with a friend the entire time, they use the atestado to get the visa and then once they get to Portugal, rent an apartment, and get an Atestado De Residência to bring to the interview. Or, if the interview date is soon, just wait until the interview is completed and then look to rent or buy a place in Portugal.

Renting Through an Agency

Although a lot of Portuguese rental agents don’t like to sign rental agreements with people who are outside of the country and have never seen the property in real life, this is becoming more and more common. And, thanks to Covid-19, virtual viewings and video walkthroughs are becoming more and more common, so it’s less of an unusual request to make. Bigger rental agencies, like Remax or Century 21, will be more used to the requirements of the D7 than private landlords.

Although you don’t get to see the properties in real life, you can still get a good feel for the property. Google Maps can help you get an idea for the neighbourhood as well, although be aware that some things might have changed since the map was made. 

Regardless of whether you view an apartment in-person or virtually, many Portuguese rental contracts have a clause that allows you to break a contract one third of the way through, providing 120 days notice is given. As contracts are typically at least a year in length, in practice this would mean you’re able to leave the contract after seven months. 

Note: Since the lease will need to be “official” (not all are) you’ll need a NIF. are able to arrange a NIF for €150 (or €140 if you use the code PORTUGALIST). The lease will also need to be registered at Finanças for it to be considered official.

Scouting Trip

One option is to come to Portugal on a scouting trip and to rent (or even buy) a place while you’re here and then go back and apply for the D7. 

It can be a bit tricky to estimate the dates correctly and obviously there’s the cost of coming to Portugal, but the benefit is that you get to see lots of rental properties in person and find somewhere that you really like. 


Although Airbnb accommodation is increasingly not being accepted as suitable proof of accommodation (Portugal distinguishes between holiday accommodation and long-term accommodation), many people have had luck booking accommodation through Flatio and using the lease the website provides. 

Airbnb workaround

There is one way that you can use Airbnb to find suitable accommodation in Portugal and that’s to contact hosts to see if they’d be willing to give you a proper long-term contract (rather than the standard Airbnb lease). 

The benefit of this approach is that you can find a property that has lots of great reviews and, based on those reviews, you get a good idea of what your future landlord will be like as well. Many hosts will say no, particularly if you want to do this during the peak summer season, but others will be open to the idea. 

Written by

Hi, I'm James. I'm the main writer at Portugalist and the author of the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple. I started Portugalist because I felt there was a real lack of good quality information about Portugal and I wanted to change that.

This article was originally published in August 2021.

1 thought on “Accommodation Options for the D7 Visa”

  1. Hello James, thank you very much again for this great resource! It is becoming my Bible. Could I please check with you if the consulates accept a letter from a friend (Portuguese citizen) stating that I will be living with them for 1 year while I find a permanent accommodation? Also, would you happen to know how long does a consulate typically hold your passport for while they process your visa? I am considering applying either in Britain or Russia as I am a citizen of both countries. Thank you very very much for your help!


Leave a Comment

Confused? Moving to Portugal Simplified.

Available now on Amazon in paperback and Kindle format.