With more than three hundred days of sunshine per year, and miles and miles of beautiful sandy beaches, the Algarve is the perfect location for getting an all-over tan.
Although the Algarve only has a handful of official nude beaches, naturism is a common feature on many of the beaches here. Topless sunbathing even more so.
The Algarve is also home to many naturist accommodation options such as villas and guesthouses. This means you don’t have to limit yourself to getting that perfect tan on the beach: you can get it at your accommodation as well.
Naturist accommodation on the Algarve
Some people are happy just stripping off when they get to the beach, while others specifically look out for naturist accommodation. The Algarve has several nudist guesthouses as well as at least one adults-only hotel that welcomes naturists.
- VILAPURA – Located in Tavira, near Faro on the Eastern side of the Algarve, this contemporary hotel is the perfect place for naturist couples to stay on the Algarve
- Cabana del Sol – Situated in Monte da Charneca near Alte and Monchique in the heart of the rural Algarve, this wooden chalet offers stylish accommodation with an outdoor swimming pool, sauna, and hot tub. This property is adults-only
- Villa Paraiso – Situated near Porches, Villa Paraiso offers adults-only hotel accommodation. The hotel is not officially a nudist hotel, and describes itself as naturism optional. However, it attracts a large number of naturists and states that naturism is welcomed
- Monte Mimosa – A nudist-friendly villa rental in Moncarapacho, near Olhão, that has three bedrooms and three bathrooms, and space for up to six people
- Algarve Naturism – Naturist-friendly one-bedroom self-contained annex plus cottage with one-bedroom and ensuite bathroom accommodating up to four people
Gay-Focused Naturist Accommodation
- Casa Risa – A clothing-optional resort for men that’s situated in Mexilhoeira Grande, near to seaside towns like Alvor, Lagos, and Praia da Rocha
- Casa Amendoa – Another clothing-optional resort for gay men, Casa Amendoa is situated near Tunes in the Algarve countryside
If you want more private accommodation, you could book a villa on the Algarve. Booking.com has a very good selection of villas.
Naturist beaches on the Algarve
As of 2016, there are officially nine naturist beaches in Portugal and four of these are located in the Algarve. As well as these four official naturist beaches, there are several others which are known to be nudist beaches but aren’t official.
Official naturist beaches on the Algarve
- Praia Barril on the Ilha de Tavira – This is the oldest official nudist beach on the Algarve, having received its official status in 1996.
- Praia das Adegas at Odeceixe-Aljezur – Situated on the Western Algarve, near the border with the Alentejo, this has been an official nudist beach since 2004. Its remote location, far away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the Algarve, makes it a very quiet and relaxing beach.
- Ilha Deserta, Faro – Located in the Ria Formosa near Faro, this secluded beach that’s only accessible by ferry has been an official nudist beach since
- Meia Praia, Lagos – As of 2016, the Alvor end of Meia Praia beach near Lagos is officially a nudist beach.
Unofficial naturist beaches on the Algarve
As well as the official naturist beaches, there are plenty of Algarve beaches where nude sunbathing is tolerated. The majority are located on the Western Algarve near Sagres and Vila do Bispo, and this part of the Algarve tends to attract more open-minded and nature-focused tourists.
- Ilha de Armona – Located 8 km from Olhão
- Praia de Cabanas – Located 6 km from Tavira
- Praia de Cacela Velha – Located 11 km from Tavira
- Praia da Afurada – Located 1.5 km from Ferragudo
- Praia do Amado – Located 16 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia Da Amoreira – Located 9 km from Aljezur
- Praia do Beliche – Located 4 km from Sagres
- Praia da Bordeira – Located 15 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia dos Pinheiros – Located 3 km from Lagos
- Praia de Vale Figueira – Located 14 km from Aljezur
- Praia da Cordoama – Located 5 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia das Furnas – Located 9 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia da Murração – Located 10 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia do Zavial – Located 7 km from Vila do Bispo
- Praia da Barriga – Located 5 km from Vila do Bispo
Visiting other parts of Portugal as well? The Portugal naturist guide has information about naturist accommodation and beaches in other parts of the country besides the Algarve.