Faro Airport, often referred to as Algarve Airport, serves as the primary entry point to the Algarve’s renowned holiday resorts. Since its inception in 1965, the airport has expanded alongside the burgeoning package holiday industry, positioning the Algarve coast as one of Europe’s favourite holiday spots. The airport caters primarily to tourists from the UK and other Northern European countries like Germany and Ireland, but has some international flights, including some from places like the US and Canada.
Today, Faro Airport, with its single terminal, welcomes nearly 8 million passengers annually, facilitated by approximately 30 airlines. Situated just 4km from Faro, the regional capital known for its captivating old quarter and nearby stunning beaches, the airport enjoys a central location on the coast. However, the majority of travellers often venture eastwards to explore famous Algarve resorts such as Vilamoura, Albufeira, Portimão, Quinta Do Lago, Vale Do Lobo, and Lagos.
Regardless of where you’re staying on the Algarve, whether it’s Albufeira or Aljezur, this is going to be your nearest airport. You can also fly into Lisbon Airport, which is just under three hours away by car, or Seville Airport which is a similar distance, but Faro Airport is generally the most convenient airport to fly to when visiting the Algarve.
Arrivals & Departures
To check the estimated arrival or departure times of flights, visit the official Faro Airport website. In case of any delays, this site also allows you to monitor the real-time status of your flight.
Getting to and from Faro Airport
There are several ways to get to and from Faro Airport including by airport transfer, public transport, taxi, or by renting a car.
- Car Rental: You can compare them against each other using a site like discovercars.com or rentalcars.com, both in terms of price but also local reviews i.e. reviews from people who have rented from their Faro Airport branch.
- Ubers & Taxis: You’ll find both Ubers and taxis at Faro Airport. Taxis are affordable in Portugal, so there isn’t a huge price advantage to booking an Uber. However, many people prefer the convenience of being able to order an Uber on their phone. As well as Uber, other taxi apps used in Portugal include Bolt. You could also pre-book a taxi or airport transfer using a company like Welcome Pickups.
- Public Transport: To get into Faro, take bus #16. There is no train connection at Faro Airport. Once in Faro, you’ll then be able to take trains and buses to other parts of the Algarve.
Faro Airport offers luggage storage lockers for securing your bags. These lockers are situated outside the terminal, close to Car Park P5. The fees for using these lockers are based on the size of the item and the duration of storage:
- Small items: €1.50 for every 4 hours
- Medium items: €2.50 for every 4 hours
- Large items: €2.50 for every 4 hours
More information can be found on Faro Airport’s website.
Alternatively, there are some places to store your luggage in Faro City Centre as well, thanks to apps like Luggage Hero and Bounce.
Several hotels are conveniently located within a short walk from the airport for those looking to stay nearby. Here are some recommended options:
- Sleep & Go Faro Airport Guest House: Known for its cleanliness and comfort, this guest house offers basic amenities, including a shared kitchen for those who prefer to prepare their own meals. Guests can also enjoy the pleasant terrace.
- Hotel 3K Faro Aeroporto: A three-star establishment featuring an outdoor swimming pool and an on-site bar. The rooms are well-appointed, complemented by a beautiful garden. The attentive staff ensures timely airport transfers.
- Coloured Studio: This vibrantly decorated studio is ideal for travelers with children, offering a cheerful and welcoming atmosphere. An added bonus is the in-studio table tennis setup, providing entertainment for guests of all ages.
See the guide to hotels near Faro Airport for more information.
Faro Airport provides passengers with free, unlimited Wi-Fi access throughout its premises. To connect, simply follow these steps:
- Activate the Wi-Fi feature on your device, whether it’s a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Choose the ‘VINCI Airports wifi’ network and launch your web browser.
- Enter a valid email address and select your home country.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
For any internet connectivity issues, you can reach out to the customer support office, available daily from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Contact them at +351 707 502 267 for assistance.
Eating & Drinking
Faro Airport offers a diverse dining experience with a number of different restaurants and cafés to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for fast food, a healthy quick bite, or a full dinner, there’s something for everyone. Among the dining options available, you’ll find popular spots like Burger King, Café Delta, Costa Coffee, Paul, Subway, and the Carlsberg Sports Bar.
Faro Airport is home to a variety of shops offering an array of products, from souvenirs to the latest fashion trends. The airport features well-known international brands including Sunglass Hut, Swarovski, and Victoria’s Secret, alongside popular Portuguese brand Parfois. For those looking to take home a piece of Portugal, Portfolio offers a selection of local souvenirs.
Additionally, the Duty Free Store is the perfect spot to find excellent bargains on beverages, perfumes, and makeup. For a comprehensive list of all the stores, you can check out the list on Faro Airport’s website.
If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of the airport, you could visit Faro Airport’s lounge, which is located after security. The entry fee is €30 for adults and €15 for children aged 3 to 12. This fee includes access to a range of amenities:
- A selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, as well as hot beverages.
- A variety of sandwiches, and both sweet and salty snacks.
- Television, complimentary internet, and computers with internet access.
- A range of international newspapers and magazines.
Overall, the lounge has fairly mediocre reviews on Google.
You have the option to reserve your place in the lounge upon arrival at the airport, or you can book in advance online. For more information and to reserve a spot now, please visit the Faro Airport website.
Faro Airport: Contact information
- Address: Faro Airport, 8001-701, Faro, Portugal
- Phone: +351 289 800 800
- Fax: +351 289 818 802
Have you flown to or from Faro Airport? Have any tips or recommendations? Share your thoughts and reviews by leaving a comment below.