There are a few ways that you can get around Lisbon. You could walk, take public transport, taxi a taxi or Uber, cycle using a bike sharing app, or, thanks to a new app called eCooltra, get around by scooter.
ECooltra is a scooter sharing app that allows you to use any of the scooters in eCooltra’s network. There’s no subscription fee: you pay per minute (by credit card), and this covers everything like insurance and helmets. There’s no need to worry about fuel, as the scooters are rechargeable.
Promotion Code: get 30 free minutes with Ecooltra when you use the discount code tkdgp.
How much does eCooltra cost?
ECooltra costs €0.24 per minute, so a 20-minute journey will cost you a little less than €5. This is about half the price of Uber or any taxi app, where the same journey will average around €8-11.
It isn’t the cheapest way to get around Lisbon. That would be by public transport, or even walking, but it’s more affordable than taking an Uber, Cabify, or traditional taxi.
Of course, the main reason to travel by scooter isn’t price but experience. If you want to experience what it’s like to get around Lisbon by scooter, then this is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to do that.
How does it work?
- Download the app and register. You’ll need to take a photo of your driving licence and passport or ID card, and to enter your credit card details.
- Next, use the app to locate your nearest scooter. Once you reserve a scooter, you have 15 minutes to get to it before it becomes available again.
- Everything you need, including 2 helmets and hygienic wipes, will be at the scooter. Press the start button on the app, and you’ll be able to open the scooter’s trunk and get your helmet and wipes.
- You’re now ready to go. Simply press the start/stop button and you’re good to go.
- When you’re done, park it in a scooter parking space, return the helmet, and click ‘finish’ on the app.
And, that’s basically it. Riding a scooter isn’t for everyone, especially in Lisbon, but this is one of the easiest ways to try it. If you enjoy it, ECooltra is available in several other cities including Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, and Milan.