Do I Need a Fiscal Representative in Portugal?

The small print: Portugalist may generate a commission from mentioned products or services. This is at no additional cost to you and it does not affect our editorial standards in any way. All content, including comments, should be treated as informational and not advice of any kind, including legal or financial advice. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors or omissions or damages arising from its display or use. Links to external websites do not constitute an endorsement.

Let’s say, for example, that you own a property in Portugal but you don’t live in Portugal or the EU, you live in the United States, and one day Finanças needs to contact you. Because you live outside of Portugal, they can’t just email or phone you. That would be crazy. They need to speak to someone in Portugal. Here’s where a tax or fiscal representative comes in.

A fiscal representative is a person or company that acts as a liaison between a non-resident individual or company and Serviço de Finanças (the Portuguese tax department).

Moving to Portugal Made Simple Cover Wish moving to Portugal was a little more simple? 

Now it can be. Get the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple from Amazon.

Who does and doesn’t need a fiscal representative?

Whether or not you need a fiscal representative depends on two things: firstly, where you are resident (i.e. live) and, secondly, if you have affairs in Portugal that Finanças might want to contact you about.

  • If you’re resident in Portugal, you don’t need a fiscal representative
  • If you are resident in an EU country, you don’t need a fiscal representative (although you can decide to get one)
  • If you are from certain EEA countries, you don’t need a fiscal representative (although you can decide to get one)
  • If you live in Portugal but are absent from the country for more than 6 months and 1 day, you need a fiscal representative
  • If you are resident in a non-EU country, you need a fiscal representative

You might need fiscal representation if you are a non-Portuguese and non-EU resident and…

  • You own property in Portugal
  • You have a business in Portugal or you earn income in Portugal subject to income tax (IRS)
  • You hold at least one bank account with a Portuguese credit institution
  • You are applying for residency in Portugal from a non-EU country

What are the costs involved?

You don’t need to pay a lawyer for fiscal representation – anyone who’s a resident in Portugal can be your fiscal representative – but many people who aren’t resident in Portugal choose to use a lawyer.

Most lawyers charge a fee for obtaining the NIF (normally required) and then an ongoing annual fee for fiscal representation. This is because being a fiscal representative carries certain obligations and the person or company can be held liable. This is typically something like €200 for the NIF and then €200 per year for fiscal representation, although fees vary from around €50 to as much as €1,000., for example, charges €150 to obtain a NIF (or €140 when you use the code PORTUGALIST), which includes 12 months of fiscal representation. After that, and assuming you don’t cancel your subscription, they will bill you €150 once per year for ongoing fiscal representation. Any correspondence from Finanças will be forwarded digitally.

Are the services that charge €500 or €1,000 better? It doesn’t make a huge difference in obtaining the NIF, but you don’t want a company with such poor customer service to be your point of contact with Finanças.

Brexit & Fiscal Representation

Now that the UK has left the EU, UK residents with tax or financial affairs in Portugal need to have a tax representative in Portugal. The deadline for this was originally January 1st, 2021, but was extended until June 30, 2021.


According to the Portuguese consulate in London, failure to appoint a fiscal representative could result in fines ranging from €75 to €7,500.

Written by

Hi, I'm James. I'm the main writer at Portugalist and the author of the book Moving to Portugal Made Simple. I started Portugalist because I felt there was a real lack of good quality information about Portugal and I wanted to change that.

This article was originally published in July 2021.

3 thoughts on “Do I Need a Fiscal Representative in Portugal?”

  1. Hey there,

    I reside in the EU and would like to appoint my Portuguese citizen friend to be my fiscal representative. How do I do this? I would like to send him to get a NIF for me.


  2. We live and work in the UK and plan to retire at the end of 2022, residing 6 months at a time.
    For this purpose we bought a house in the Algarve in June 2015.
    I visit this house almost every month for an extended weekend. (except during the pandemic year)
    My wife and I have our fiscal numbers
    My wife and I have got the local Parish Certificates of Residency issued by the Parish Chairman.
    We receive our Council annual IMI house tax demands by e-mail and pay directly from our Portuguese Bank account.
    What other services could we use a representative for? Please advise.

    • Yes you are able to do everything yourself, you pay ontime, everything is set up by direct debit, youve never needed one before, but according to the portuguese tax office you need a tax representative. Your basically going to pay a lawyer a retainer fee to do absolutely nothing.

      Yes you need to do it because the uk is not in the eu anymore.

      Doesnt just apply to brits. Portuguese living in the uk will need to do this as well although they can probably ask a family member to do it for them.

      $150 per year is actually quite reasonable. some are charging upwards of 500 Euros.


Leave a Comment

Confused? Moving to Portugal Simplified.

Available now on Amazon in paperback and Kindle format.